Rolling Hills Baptist Church began as a dream to see God do a wonderful, new and fresh work in the heart of Fayette County. The dream took its early shape through two seemingly unrelated events. The first event was a long-range planning effort conducted by Fayetteville First Baptist Church in the 1960’s, then led by Pastor Jack Overton. The study foresaw a future of unprecedented growth and ministry needs. The planning led First Baptist Church to commit to continuing the work of providing a strong, traditional witness through their fellowship while starting five new churches in Fayette County by the year 2000. Following the highly successful new congregations of First Baptist Church of Peachtree City and Harp’s Crossing, Rolling Hills would become the 3rd new church to be launched by Fayetteville FBC.
The second event was the arrival to the Atlanta area of two New Jersey pastors, Norman Sweeting and Badon Brown, with a burden to start a new church in Metro Atlanta. Following intensive prayer and lengthy demographic studies, the two men identified our current location as a prime location for a church start.
After several months of organizing for the new church, Sweeting and Brown returned to other ministry opportunities in New Jersey. By that time, First Baptist Peachtree City, the Fairburn Association and Fayetteville First Baptist Church were all involved in the new work at Rolling Hills. In January of 1990, Fayetteville FBC voted to fully adopt the mission and property obligations related to the church start. Soon after, Rolling Hills began to meet at Fayette Middle School under the interim leadership of Gordon Lawrence, Church Starter Strategist for South Metro Baptist Association. Vision was cast that Rolling Hills would be a contemporary church unleashed to reach people in the Redwine Road area of Fayetteville, Ga. It was at this time that the fellowship began a building fund in hope of constructing facility for worship on the site at 1481 Redwine Road.
It was later discovered that the site had once been the location of a primitive schoolhouse that doubled as a church house on Sunday mornings (circa. late 1800’s-early 1900’s). The school was called “The Arnold School”.
In October of 1990 Wallace McAbee was called to be the first full-time pastor. Soon after, the church began to experience growth and expansion. In the fall of 1991, the Mission Committee of Fayetteville FBC became instrumental in leading the church to dream about, pray over and secure architectural drawings and county permits for the work.
Grading and site preparation began in July of 1992, with volunteer construction teams at work on the framing of the building. The slab was poured and main supporting beams were in place just in time for the teams to arrive from all over Georgia. Construction Dedication with over 100 in attendance was held on Sunday afternoon, September 12, on the slab. At sunrise on September 13, forty volunteers began to hammer and saw a dream into existence. Construction was completed in June of 1993. The first Sunday service was held on July 4th with 61 in Sunday School and 114 in Worship. The Building Dedication Service was held on July 18, 1993, with Dr. Charles Chaney of the Home Mission Board preaching, Rev. Frank Ellis and Rev. Jack Overton bringing words of encouragement from Fayetteville FBC.
In April of 2004, the church called Frank Mercer as Senior Pastor. It was his vision to lead our church to change our world “life by life by life” by reaching, growing and launching.
On October 5, 2008, the members of Rolling Hills voted overwhelmingly in favor of joining GOD in His redemptive work by selling her buildings and property, and using the proceeds to increase ministry and mission efforts in our community and beyond.
In March of 2010, the property was sold to Living Faith Fellowship of Peachtree City. The last worship service at 1481 Redwine Road was held on March 21st, 2010.
On March 28, 2010, Rolling Hills began worshiping at Tinseltown Theater in the Fayetteville Pavilion.
On June 19, 2011, Rolling Hills began worshiping at NCG Cinemas at Fischer Crossings, 55 Fischer Crossings Blvd., Sharpsburg, GA. The intent of the move was to capitalize on the wave of new development, both commercial and residential, that was happening in that area, and to reach more people than we seemed to be reaching at Tinseltown.